Friday, January 30, 2009

Kai is 22 months old!

Kai will only be 22 months old on Monday, but I feel like he has hit his "twos" a little early. I refuse to call them the "terrible" twos...but perhaps the "terrific twos", the "trying twos", the "temperamental twos", "talkative twos", "tearful twos"--okay, you get the picture. Many words could describe this stage, but I refuse to let one of them be "terrible"!
Today I am just reflecting a bit on my growing, changing son and realized it has been a while since I have recorded all his growing and changing...so, this will probably be a long one:)
Kai can say just about anything at this point which amazes me. Not only can he repeat what you say...he is constantly pointing out things around him and most of it you can actually understand. He has begun to clearly pronounce certain words. Water for instance used to be "wawa". Now it is wa-ter...almost with a little accent. I guess you can't actually hear what is in my head so that was a bad example...all that to say that he is improving quite a bit!
"Patience" is a word he can now say...it is one I apparently say a lot to him. So, he can say it clearly but I am not sure that he clearly understands what it means. This child is persistent! He will repeat something over and over and over and over until he gets a response..no, correction, until he gets the response he is looking for. Yes, "have patience" is a phrase he hears quite a bit.
One of the things we are working on patience about is the train mentioned in a previous post. The child is obsessed with it! As soon as I walk in to get him in the morning or after a nap I hear "train, train". As soon as we walk in the door, or are even in the car headed for home, "train, train". It's getting pretty old to be honest. Actually, I should say that today the train saved me. He has figured out how to put the track together himself and entertained himself for a good hour while I was trying to deal with Peru stuff this morning--today, I was thankful for the train instead of despising it:)
Songs! The other thing Kai has been pretty persistent about lately is singing. He has always loved music but now insists on songs at bedtime and in the car. I sang "the wheels on the bus" for a solid 45 minutes the other day...and let me tell you , I'm not that creative (and don't have the best voice) but he didn't seem to notice. In fact, he can join in really well on most songs. My favorite song he sings is "Jesus loves me". He will just sing "Jesus, Bible, sooooo". It is super cute. We have also been reading bible verses to him and he has caught on. His favorite is "Yes, be bold and strong...for remember, the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9. If I start it he can do the main words--bold, strong, Lord, God, go! I'm impressed anyway and I love seeing him learn God's Word!
Well, that is a little update on Kai and a little bit of what he has been up to. All in all he is a super sweet boy---but incredibly tough and strong and all boy! I am so blessed to be his mommy...something to remember during the terri...I mean, trying parts of this stage!

No comments: