Friday, June 27, 2008

Garden

I was inspired by one of my hostesses to plant a vegetable garden. I was excited about the idea of having some fresh veggies at our fingertips...and saving some money. This last weekend I was determined to get one going. I roped Tyson into helping me and we created a raised bed which we filled with apparently “the most fertile soil in Oregon”. Good news for my plants, bad news for me...I can’t blame the dirt if they don’t grow:) We had a fun time as a family getting our hands dirty (Kai’s entire body was covered with dirt) and creating something together. We got our vegetables in the ground this week and now we are just waiting and hoping for the fruit of labor. Some of the plants are already looking a bit limp but I’m hoping it is from the transplanting and they will perk back up in a few days. I don’t have much of a green thumb but it will be fun for Kai and I to tend. We planted lettuce, broccoli, onions, sweet peppers, jalapeƱo peppers, 3 kinds of tomatoes, cilantro, chives and basil. I also planted carrot seeds and pumpkin seeds so we will see if those come up. I’ll let you know how it goes. If anyone has any advice I am way open!

Working Hard

Before

After

1 comment:

Stacey J said...

Yay for a vegetable garden! Trav & I have a yard full of vegetables we are trying to grow.. Similar stuff too. We can cross our fingers together that something grows. Maddy got REALLY excited the otherday because we have A green strawberry on one of the plants.. Yes, I said "A", as in one... Guess it doesn't take much to make my girls excited! Hope you are doing well! Stace