Sunday, December 19, 2010

The day he was born...

We arrived in Arequipa on the night of Thanksgiving. I was so relieved just to be here and no longer have to think about the possiblilty of having the baby in Puerto...huge relief! The morning of his birth I went in for an appointment. I had been in twice already since I had arrived in Arequipa (a week earlier). My doctor felt I was going to have the baby early and "didn't want to be suprised". They monitored me and she checked me and said I was having contractions (but I didn't feel them) and that I was 1 cm. I walked back to meet up with Tyson and Kai (we were staying only about 6 blocks from the hospital). We went to lunch and while Kai was playing I began to feel what I thought were contractions. They were different from before because they hurt a little (but really only a little) and were somewhat consistent. After a while I got out my phone to time them and they seemed to be about 2 minutes apart. But, I couldn't possibly be in labor because they didn't really hurt (is what I was thinking). This was around 1pm. We went back to the apartment and ended up talking to both our parents, eating lunch and doing some cleaning. Around 3 I decided maybe I should time my contractions again...they seemed to be coming often but they weren't that intense. They were 1 1/2 apart so I tried calling my doctor. No answer. On any of the 3 numbers I had. So, I told Tyson I would just walk down to the clinic and see if she was in, and I'd call him if I was actually in labor. Right as I was about to leave I felt like my water was leaking. My contractions almost immediately felt more intense. I told Tyson we needed to go and we should just take Kai and have someone meet us at the hospital. I was suddenly feeling like we needed to get there fast. We grabbed our stuff and headed out. Tyson asked me if we should walk or catch a taxi...I quickly opted for taxi. The funny thing was that Tyson passed up the first taxi that stopped because they wouldn't give him the price he wanted. It drove away and he looked at me and said "maybe now's not the time to bargin for prices." Yeah, not the time. It was funny and just goes to show you how bargining is ingrained in us here:) We arrived at the hospital around 3:30pm and my doctor's office was closed. We headed down to the emergency room because that is what she had told me to do is she wasn't there. They informed me there that there were no rooms and I had to go talk to someone on the 2nd floor. At the 2nd floor I talked to someone else who just repeated that they didn't have any rooms. I was starting to feel a bit paniced at this point. "I think I'm in labor , what are my options?" I asked. By then Tys had gotten ahold of my doctor and she was on her way so we just waited for her. When she came she took me to her office and I was 4cm and yes, my water had broken. We went down to the emergency room...there was a bit of arguing about getting me a bed or something but at this point I was pretty much focused on the contractions. I was a little concerned I was going to have to give birth there but they assured me there was a delivery room. They got me changed and an IV in me and my doctor checked me again...6cm. They put me on a gourney to take me to the delivery room. The wheeled me up a ramp because the elevator was broken (at this point the contractions were EXTREMELY intense) and we arrived at the delivery room. They got me on the table...this is less then 10 minutes after she last checked me...and she checked me again and told me to push. I was shocked it was already time for that but at least pushing would help get the pain over with quickly. Tyson was in another room changing into scrubs and ran in with half of them on when he heard someone screaming (apparently that was me). I pushed for about 7 minutes and out he came at 4:25pm. It all went so fast...which is a good thing since I didn't have time for any help with pain:)
After all the months of wondering..."It's a boy" were wonderful words to hear. In the end it didn't matter either way and I really didn't have a strong feeling that he was a boy or girl...I was just open and ready to know. I had sort of thought he was a girl throughout my pregnancy but I only dreamed 4 times and every time he was a boy. So, apparently my instincts were wrong but my dreams were right:) I was just overjoyed when I finally got to hold him!

In the delivery room with our doctor...


Tyson sporting scrubs and looking good doing it...


There were no rooms in the maternity ward so we stayed the night in the emergency observation area. It was a tiny little room with the bathroom out around the corner but it was quiet and the nurse was sweet. Here is a little look at it...

Once we were down there Tyson asked he he could hold Grady since he hadn't held him yet. I was shocked they hadn't offered him to his Daddy earlier...a major difference from the States. He did get to cut the cord though.
We did have to convince them to let him stay in our room .Usually they take the babies to the nursery for the first 4-6 hours to observe them but they let us keep him with us. A nurse did come down late in the evening and tell me she was taking him for the night. I politely but firmly insisted he stay with me...she wanted to give him a bottle because "he would scream from hunger" but I convinced her he would be fine with me. She also thought he would be too cold in our room...he looks pretty cold doesn't he:) In the end he stayed with me all night and did not scream or freeze:)
The next day we were back at the house by noon. It was a crazy fast delivery and time at the hospital. I'm sure it was different from the States in many ways but it all went so quickly I really didn't have time to think about it. I felt like they were flexible with me and I tried my best to not be the pain in the butt American:) In the end I am just so thankful for a healthy baby boy. The Lord has been so faithful throughout this pregnancy and we praise him for the life of our new son! Thank you to all of you who prayed for us...we felt His hand on us every step of the way!

2 comments:

Tammy Williams said...

An experience you will never forget! Grady is gorgeous and has a beautiful name!

jeluoto said...

Trac- You are so incredible. What an experience for you guys. I am so thankful that God's protection was over you in so many ways. Your labor sounded really similar to Lydia's as far as the speed. It was scary to go so fast, I cant imagine being in a foreign country. So so happy for your healthy little guy and cant wait to meet him!